Are you thinking about installing a whole house water filter in your home? They have many benefits and are not that hard to install, if you have the proper tools.
Use the following guide from expert plumbers Toronto to install a house water filter system. If you don’t feel comfortable doing so, hire a plumber to complete the task.
How to Install a Whole House Water Filter
A whole house water filter system is the best way to deliver clean and purified water throughout your home. Use the following guide for water installation for the filter .
- Adjustable wrenches
- Pipe cutter
- Teflon tape
- Water filter kit (whole house)
At the main water supply, shut off the water. Open a spigot at the lowest point in home to drain the water and release the water pressure.Using the template that comes with the system, mark the pipe to ensure proper placement. (Keep in mind that the cartridge will need to be changed as needed so ensure that you are able to reach it readily and easily). To remove the section marked in step 2, make two cuts using a pipe cutter. If you are working in a narrow spice, use a mini pipe cutter. To ensure that the blades line up correctly, tighten the cutter on the pipe using the twist handle. Continue rotating the cutter until the cut is complete. Remove any burrs using the cutter’s reamer blade. To attach the fittings, position the small end of a compression nut on the ends of one of the cut pipes and then slip on the ferrule, repeating the process on the other side of the piping. On the filter housing, on the “out” and “in” ports, thread a bass fitting and install using the instructions provided. The fittings should be snug but not too-tight, so take care. To make sure that the fitting and the filter port are tightly sealed, use Teflon tape. On the water line, position the filter so the water flows in the “in” port and out the “out” port. While this might seem like an obvious step, it is quite often overlooked and the filter system will not work unless it is properly installed.
Pro tip: The “out” port should be facing the water heater while the “in” port is closer to the meter.
- Place the water filter on the water line, allowing it to hang between the ferrules for the time being.
- Onto the fitting bodies, use your hands to make sure that the compression nuts are tight.
- Use two wrenches to tighten the fittings, making sure that filter is straight.
- Your kit will include a handle that is used to turn the inlet valve to “bypass”, “filter” and “off” positions. Once the filter is installed, the valve should be in the off potions.
- At the main water valve, turn the water on slowly to see if the filter is leaking anywhere.
- Next turn the handle to “filter” to allow the water to fill, again checking for leaks.
- Replace the filter as recommended by the manufacturer using the guidelines provided.
Contact DrainCom if you need any assistance on how to install a water filter whole house system. We will gladly help you with your plumbing questions or issues from sink repair to how to install a toilet to leaky spigots.