Emergency Plumbing Call or Txt416-989-5757
Toronto Waterproofing, Drain & Plumbing Services
Is it better to fix a leak from inside the basement or out? Is this a question you have been wondering about for some time? Have you been putting off basement repairs for some time now?
In this blog, we shall discuss the differences between interior and exterior basement waterproofing.
Leaky basement Toronto can lead to mold and mildew issues as well as damage to the structure of your home, which can lead to costly repairs if not resolved.
How to Fix a Leaky Basement from the Inside vs the Outside
Leaky Basement from the Inside: How to Fix
How to Fix a Leaky Basement Interior: Pros
- Drywall will have to be removed to access the foundation of the basement.
- Fixing the basement leak from the inside is less expensive than excavating and waterproofing the basement from the outside.
- Waterproofing inside the home is not affected by outside weather conditions.
- It is easier to pinpoint the source of the leak from the inside of the basement than out.
- Internal waterproofing will completely fill the leak from the inside to the outside while outside waterproofing only patches a partial element outside the home.
What Is Interior Basement Waterproofing?
To fix an interior leak in the basement and to waterproof it against future leaks, a trained plumber will form a trench and install in it a footer drain to direct the water to the drainage point. In addition, a sump pump will be installed in most homes.
How to Fix a Leaky Basement from the Outside
How to Fix a Leaky Basement Exterior: Cons
- There is always a slight chance of the basement roof caving in during the excavation process.
- More staff is involved in exterior waterproofing, so scheduling may be an issue.
- There is more of a risk of issues due to human error exterior during basement waterproofing, such as cutting the gas line, etc.
- Exterior basement waterproofing can cost up to three times as much as interior basement waterproofing.
What Is Exterior Basement Waterproofing?
Exterior basement waterproofing is more time-consuming and expensive than interior waterproofing, as it involves excavating the basement foundation to inspect for the source of the leak. It also involves removing and replacing the footer drain and covering the foundation of the basement with a dimpled membrane.
Additional costs could incur to have the outside landscape repaired from the excavation process. Keep in mind that there may be delays, as any exterior work is dependent on the weather.
As you can see, interior waterproofing is the preferred choice. However, exterior waterproofing or a combination of both interior and exterior waterproofing may be needed in some cases.
If you have further questions about how to fix a leaky basement wall from the inside, contact the trained staff at Drain Com. We can advise you as to which form of basement waterproofing is best for your home. Call us today to schedule an assessment.