Have you ever wondered what basic plumbing tools you should have at hand for plumbing repairs? Sure, there are some jobs that require the help of a professional, but some of the issues can be easily fixed with the help of a few plumbing tools and a little know-how.
In the following, we will highlight some of the most common plumbing tools for homeowners. Any serious plumbing issues should be completed by a professional plumber Toronto. But this guide should help equip you for any minor plumbing issues that may arise in your home.
Basic Plumbing Tools for Toronto Area Homeowners
Following is a list of common plumber tools for those homeowners who wish to keep them at hand in the event of a minor plumbing problem.
- Adjustable Wrenches: Wrenches are used to hold, adjust, and turn plumbing fixtures and pipes. They come in a variety of sizes and are turned clockwise to tighten and counter-clockwise to loosen an item.
- Basin Wrench: Otherwise known as a sink wrench, a basin wrench is used to reach nuts in those areas that are out of reach.
- Closet Auger: A closet auger is used to unclog toilets when a toilet plunger is not doing the job. Feed the auger into the opening of the toilet and gently pull it out to help remove the clog.
- Gloves: Gloves are needed to protect your hands from injury as well as harmful bacteria and other debris you may encounter while tending to a plumbing issue.
- Goggles: It is always wise to wear goggles to protect your eyes in case of any loose debris, dirt, or other particles when doing any type of home repair, especially plumbing.
- Hacksaw/Handsaw: Both of these saws are useful for cutting wood, plastic, metal, or other materials.
- Pipe Cutters/Tube Cutters: Both tube and pipe cutters can be adjusted to fit the size of the tube or pipe in question and can be used to cut both metal and plastic.
- Pipe Wrench: Pipe wrenches are used to tighten and loosen pipe joints. They are available in a wide variety of sizes and designed to slide one way while gripping the other.
- Plunger: Plungers are one of the most basic plumbing tools and should be a staple in every home. They are the go-to method for both clogged sinks and toilets.
- Screwdriver: Another tool every home should have is a screwdriver. The most common types are Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers. Both come in a variety of sizes and can be used to screw or unscrew nails and nuts for home repairs or improvements.
- Slip Joint Pliers: Slip joint pliers are used to remove larger nuts, such as those found under the sink on p-traps.
Other Items You Should Have at Hand Include the Following:
- Step stool/ladder;
- Tape Measure;
- Teflon Tape;
For major plumbing emergencies or if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact the expert staff at DrainCom. We will gladly assist you with any of your plumbing needs.